Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Dish on Denim


Welcome back everyone and happy New Year! I trust you all had wonderful holidays spending time with family and friends as I did. I actually had my New Years Eve champagne cheers in the hospital waiting room as I was there with my boyfriend waiting for his very first nephew to arrive. (Of course the little guy took his sweet time and showed up around noon on New Years Day, happy and healthy!) Anyways, since I have been taking my sweet time to get back to posting on here I thought I would make the first post of the new year an extra special post on denim. Who doesn't wear denim, right? And if you, like my mother (and even myself sometimes) have trouble finding that perfect pair of jeans that looks great, fits great and goes well with everything, than read on! My mom and I went on the hunt for the perfect pair of jeans during the holidays this year and here is what we have come up with. She tried on everything from designer denim to Old Navy and whatever we could find in between.

And the winner is:


Eddie Bauer Slightly Curvy Stay Shape Skinny Jeans!!

These jeans had the best fit, wash/color, comfort and quality that my mom and I were looking for. And the price wasn't too bad either. They come in Petite and Tall sizes, and although Eddie Bauer does not make a skinny jean in "Curvy" (you can however find straight jeans in Curvy), the "Slightly Curvy" fit seemed to fit just as well.

Here are some tips and notes we have about some of the other denim brands my mom tried on:

Many of the brand name jeans from stores like LOFT, Eddie Bauer and The Limited have similar denim fits as they do for dress pants. If you remember the chart I created in my Dress Pants post, click here to see it.

After trying on designer brands such as 7 for All Mankind, J Brand and Joe's Jeans at Macy's we realized that although these are high quality jeans, the fit and the wash tends to look better on teens and twenty-somethings. That is not to say that you cannot find a great pair of designer jeans that works for you however, my mom has an older pair of 7 for All Mankind jeans that she likes, but we found that what is in stores currently tends to have the washed out look or a low riding fit that she didn't prefer.

One big tip for finding jeans that don't look like they were made for teenagers: Pay attention to the wash. Denim these days comes in so many different washes and can actually be manufactured to have patterns of "wear" on the jeans before they have ever been worn. Stick with a simple, one-shade wash without any of the "manufactured wear" to have a more mature look. My mom and I both prefer the darker wash on her as it is slimming, and can be dressed up with a nice top.

Of course skinny jeans are the current trend for women of all ages and can look great on woman of many different sizes if you know what to pair with them. My mom like's skinny jeans because they look so great with boots. And boots have certainly become a staple in her wardrobe as of lately.


What are your most favorite jeans and where are they from? Do you have any tips or advice for finding the best denim? I'd love to hear from you so please post in the comments section below.

Looks from above photos:

Look 1
Blazer: Target Mossimo (old), similar, similar
Boots: LAUREN by Ralph Lauren riding boots (old via DSW), similar, similar

Look 2
Sweater: LOFT Popcorn Stitch Sweater (old), similar

Look 3
Sweater: Ann Taylor
Necklace: Ann Taylor





No comments:

Post a Comment